Sunday, March 1, 2009

March...Bloggy Book Club


First...an update... Sara Nelms did not win a spot but I thank each one of you who voted for her and I ask that you keep her name in your memory because some day this sweet girl will be a star!
If you are interested in the winners go here!

Bloggy Book Club choice for March is Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly and it is a historical fiction novel set in Ireland during the potato famine.
It is about a family's epic journey to survive that takes them to America. A natural disaster that takes three crops of potatoes out of four years crops, a callous government and uncaring landlords turn it into The Great Starvation that kills a million people in a country smaller than the state of Illinois.

I chose this book because of the excellent reviews done by Tiffany of Lattes and Life and Elizabeth of Thoughts from an Evil Overlord and because I needed to read a book about survival!
The news is depressing these days but I know our country is made of good people...America was built on people who would not die but would survive in a new land...not just Irish but many immigrants who would work hard for a better life...America offers this even now!
Also, I love Ireland and have fallen in love with this country at first sight!
So, in honor of upcoming St. Patrick's Day...I choose Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly.

6 comments:

Scary Mommy said...

That stinks about Sara!! You were so sweet to help the way you did. I'm sure she's headed for bigger & better things!

Blog Stalker said...

Sara WILL be a star someday and I can't wait to be able to say I knew her before she was!

You are so right on that while things are not great, this country is still filled with GREAT people! This too shall pass!

Have a great day!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Can't wait to read what you think. It was SUCH a good book!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry about Sara not winning--wishing her much luck in the future!!

That looks like a good book--I love anything Ireland!!

Debbie said...

I'm sad Sara didn't win. But, I bet we will see her name soon:)

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks for the rec! I'm reading Revolutionary Road right now, but will get to Galway soon, I promise. Hey...I've left a bit o' bloggy bling at my place for you today. Please come check it out!