Monday, March 23, 2009

Deep Thinking The Human Condition...


I just finished reading S.A. Odunsi's book, Deep Thinking the Human Condition...not a light read by the way!
This book is the first four chapters in a series of books yet to come. Odunsi lets the reader know upfront that he feels Social Science, of Western Academia has a monopoly as designated problem solver and that they have failed to solve some of the world's most serious endemic problems.
He makes the argument that Social Science has failed to teach people to function in a way that facilitate economic development in the third world and eliminate "pockets" of persistent poverty in the developed countries. He states that Social Science has made no real progress and provided no real return on investment which has resulted in an acceptance that endemic world problems as a matter of fact.
I would like to say that this book would open up healthy debate...but it will not...those who agree with the author will and those who don't won't! The author feels that Social Science has a monopoly on how to handle the problems of poverty...he leaves completely out the topic of any organized religion or... disorganized religion for that matter. Whether flawed or not in their thinking many feel morally obligated to "feed the poor" or "comfort the sick" and this is not as he states a result of social science but rather a teaching of all major religions.
I have been to Honduras and have seen the influence of the Catholic Church...this is not Social Science but rather religion at work!
The argument that social science has not had any return on investment made me laugh out loud...Can you imagine him stating this to Mother Theresa?
I do not argue with any of his statements...but I didn't hear any real answers to any of his criticisms...he is right...The poor are still among us!
I guess if I were concerned about the poor...I would do something about it...something! If I were concerned about the money being spent on the poor... I would write a book!
This book was a difficult read...not just for content but it is written as a text book and as such is just not that interesting. If it were written differently...I think mainstream America would read it...as it is just Western Academia will...and as the author states they are already doing it wrong!
**First person to comment who would like a copy of this book and who will blog about it...I will mail them a copy!

10 comments:

A New Yorker said...

People are where they are because that is what god wants. We are here for lessons. Sometimes we are supposed to be called into action because of what we see. Othertimes it is for a lesson for the one we deem as having less than ourself to learn something. Life will always be this way because that is how god wants and needs it. THAT is balance.

BTW I have some personal posts coming starting Tuesday.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Did you know that schizophrenia, which is resistant to methods of treatment that prevail in the West, has a much higher cure rate in Third World cultures? Western methods aren't the only solution -- or even the best one in all cases.

Rhonda said...

I think Lauren is the perfect one for this book. If it is the Lauren that I'm thinking of. I will watch for her take on this too.

Aunt Julie said...

I am always up for the challenge, and you know I LOVE to write. I'm available for book reviews, anytime!

Coachdad said...

Love your book reviews. I just finished a great one... The Witching Hiur by Anne Rice.

Coachdad said...

That should have been Hour, not hiur.

KWolfAK said...

You are reading stuff that is deeper than I want to think!

Dr. Mom said...

Why exactly is Western Social Science supposed to cure all the ills of the world? There is such thing as personal responsibility. On a good note, in February's Reader's Digest there is a great article entitled "It's a Wonderful Life." The fourth point gives me hope that some of these world ills will one day be a thing of the past. In 1970 half of the world was illiterate and to get a personal encyclopedia, one had to get a loan and slowly pay it off. Today 80 percent of the world is literate and 22 percent have access to the greatest encyclopedia of all time, the internet. Not exactly a failure of the West...

Ronda's Rants said...

I think the implication is that WE think we can cure all the ills of the world and yet after all is said and done...we haven't!
We are still doing the same things and it is isn't working!
But...the author says it better than I however I still wish he would say it in more simple terms...I am not that bright!

Dr. Mom said...

If you reading that tome, then you are definitely bright! I think I once read that all great leaders have superiority complexes, that it is a requirement in the character of someone that makes great changes (good or bad) that they must first believe that they can and will make great changes. It may take a little more time to cure something that has been around since the beginning of time, but the West still has a chance...;).