Saturday, March 28, 2009

Life and Love are Precious!

My mother had surgery on Thursday morning, it was scheduled, expected...needed.
I thought I had given myself plenty of time for my daughter and I to arrive just as Mom would be taken back for surgery... so Dad wouldn't be... alone. I should have given myself another 15 minutes for finding the elusive parking spot and then the process of checking into the hospital and walking to the surgery waiting room because...I was late.

My father was not alone, as his preacher sat beside him...but he did appear alone in thought...sitting straightly...feet planted firmly on the floor... hands clasped in his lap. He looked like what he was...a Naval officer. Suddenly my strong father...someone I had on many occasions been afraid of...seemed so small. I knew he was praying...maybe pleading!
He saw us...and his face lit up...which even for me, a 50 year old woman...made me happy that my Dad seemed happy to see me.

I am not talented at many things but I am good in a difficult circumstance...life has prepared me.
I know how to wait... and how to entertain... and be entertained! Within minutes, we were all laughing and telling stories...competing for punch lines. The two hours went by as quickly as I could make it!
At this point, Mom was out of surgery and finally in recovery...the lady at the desk handed my father a pager... similar to the ones restaurants give you...just before they say it's a 45 minute wait! When the pager goes off...he would know her room number! My Dad said we would all go eat and it was his treat...My youngest sister had arrived at this point...so the four of us followed the signs to the cafeteria.
All during lunch my father had his finger tips touching this pager, glancing at it often...one time he asked me to hold it...making it a point to say..."Hold this for me for a minute!"
Barely...a minute later...he took back the only tie he had to his wife ...holding it with two hands!
My Mom was in recovery for two hours and she did fine...so did Dad!

While...I was with my father... my cell phone rang and a friend told me a mutual friend had fallen and hit her head and was in ICU...and would I call our Pastor...which I did. I prayed for my friend... and also for her husband...now waiting in a waiting room! I prayed he didn't feel alone.

**Update on my friend...She is out of ICU and while she will need surgery...she won't have any lasting complications from her fall! :)**

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes love is tested...you Dad did a good job as did you...Bless you all for coming through with grace!

amelia bedelia said...

So glad you're Mom did well during the surgery. You are just what he neeeded.

Unknown said...

Ronda awwww this post brought tears to my eyes...hope you mom is doing well will be keeping you all and your friend and their family in my thoughts and prayers

Betty said...

It´s sweet how your dad was hanging on to this pager. It shows his love for your mom, but also how he needed to hold on to something.
I hope your mom recovers soon!

Rhonda said...

The most difficult thing in the world, I think, is to see a strong person broken. I'm glad all is fine! And I'm glad you were there with him.

Heather of the EO said...

Life is so heavy so much of the time, isn't it? I hope your mom is doing well and I'm glad to see your friend is improving!

Peace to you,
Heather

Ginger said...

That was a sweet blog. So glad your mom did well during the surgery and hope your friend will be fine too.
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Yep. I'm the one that looks so calm and is always near the one who needs companionship. My sister is the one who works crowd control and keeps an even keel.

Do me a favor and visit my blog today and see the Floridian house we lost yesterday, just as we were heading out of the house, on our way to Leesburg Fl to see it.

Debbie said...

I'm so happy your mom did well and you were there for your dad. Waiting is the toughest part.

Aunt Julie said...

What a sweet post! The thing I like most about it is the raw emotion showing through. Hope your mom is doing better, and your friend, too!

Blog Stalker said...

Glad your mom is well, and so glad you were able to have that time with your dad. You haved a great view of the life around you and I am so looking up to you and your attitude!

Have a great day!

Karyn said...

Glad all is well! Have fun at Granny Bootcamp tomorrow. xo

Roshni said...

So glad that she made a speedy recovery! And, so nice to see the two of them so much in love with one another.

Anonymous said...

Oh my what a stressful day! I'm glad everyone is okay.....its tough being the glue that helps hold everything together isn't it? But what a good feeling...

Jennifer said...

Oh that sounds very stressful! I hate hospital waiting rooms! I'm so glad your mom--and friend--are okay!!