Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bloggy Book Club



May's Bloggy Book Club: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain

Guest blogger, my daughter Rachel, reviews this month's selection.

First of all, I would like to apologize for not posting this at least 24 hours ago. I've been experiencing these annoyingly vivid flashbacks from middle school of my mother nagging me to finish my book reports. So...I've been distracted :) 

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes was a pleasant surprise. After reading the synopsis, I'll be honest, I didn't see what all the fuss was about...So what?!? It's another book about a mother with a past full of deception and secrets - The Memory Keeper's Daughter anyone?

However, this was my first Diane Chamberlain book. Wow. She writes with such eloquence and purpose. Prior to reading the book, I read one review that said Chamberlain does not develop her characters well in this book...I completely disagree. 

Not only do I know and adore CeeCee, Eve, Corinne, Jack, and Dru of The Secret Life, but I missed the characters when I finished the book. I was on the roller coaster with CeeCee when she made her life-altering decision. I felt her panic as the novel's conflict unfolded, as well as supported AND justified the horrific path she chose. I followed her down the road of unimaginable consequences. I felt sick for Eve when Tim's truth was revealed. I laughed when Dru defended her mother to Corinne's critical fiance ...For several nights, my poor husband had to fall asleep in bed with all the lights on because I didn't want to stop reading this book (I guess I could have invested in a book light...). I think I finished all 528 pages in less than a week. 

Although, I could continue to talk about this book all night (and I already have for one of my book clubs), I will just say that The Secret Life brings to light some great discussion topics - the importance of a mother/daughter relationship...and lack thereof...the repercussions of a young woman's choices, and ... capital punishment (!!). 

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes had me intrigued from the opening chapter and kept me captivated through to the last words. I will be reading more of Diane Chamberlain! 

8 comments:

Aunt Julie said...

Oh, I'm always looking for a great read...when is the review scheduled to run?

Roshni said...

Wow! Sounds like a great book. Certainly was a great review!
Ronda, I know why you were nagging her...coz of the theme of the book (mother-daughter relationship?!). Great choice as a guest blogger!!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Sounds like a great book -- and the topic of mother-daughter relationships is one that absorbs me. Adding it to my list.

Brenda said...

Now I HAVE to read this book!

Candid Carrie said...

Rachel Raves ;)

Karyn said...

I shall put it on the list! My copy of The Shack is gettign dusty...

Jennifer said...

Hi Rachel! Ok--you convinced me! It sounds like a good one and I'll add it to my list.

Claremont First Ward said...

I've been wanting to read this!