Monday, August 24, 2009

Tangling with Tyrants


Tangling with Tyrants by Tony Deblauwe is a must read especially in today's economic environment where finding a new job may not be a quick or even a viable option!
I think, all of us have at one time or another experienced a difficult boss and all of us have tried varied ways of coping with varied levels of success.
Deblauwe gives great tips in determining exactly what is going on and a process to outline a strategy for change for a lasting solution!

The back cover states:
Through exercises and real examples taken from workplace, Tangling with Tyrants can help you break the conflict you have with your boss. Specific techniques demonstrate how to improve your thinking and change your behavior to ultimately enhance your power in a relationship.

I did learn quite a bit from this book...apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks!

I learned the role I have been playing in conflicts in my work environment ( I work with my husband!)
I now know which behaviors I have participated in that have undermined my power in our company decision making.

I have also learned that while turning things over to God in prayer is important you shouldn't just be "hoping" things will change without any work on your part.

I have also learned how to have a "plan" for lasting change.

Tangling with Tyrants is a great book that I highly recommend...it retails for $19.95 and it is a small price to pay for great career advice!

6 comments:

Teri said...

This book sounds very interesting. In your opinion, can you pull lessons from it for everyday life - outside the workplace? You have me wanting to find this book at the libary.

I am just now starting "Of Mice and Men." It's been since high school since I last read it. Um, that was awhile ago.

Ronda's Rants said...

Yes...I think it presents the case well that we can misread people's intention and we can respond in ways that may actually sabotage what we are hoping to accomplish.
It also gives thoughtful exits strategies in case you do need to leave.

Wendy said...

This is a timely recommendation for me. Thank you! I will read it!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Might have been worthwhile before I got laid off. For it to work, do you have to WANT to get along with your boss, who you think is a giant (never mind, this is a g-rated blog)?

Rhonda said...

I read the title of this post, and put it together with your facebook status. I totally thought this was going to be a post about the cutest boy and girl in America!! lol

Ronda's Rants said...

You are so funny....No they were wonderful...no tyrants with my grandchildren! :)