Saturday, August 29, 2009

Kathryn Magendie's Tender Graces


This month's Bloggy Book club choice was Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie.

(I have started this first sentence three times each differently trying to say the same thing...without it sounding like a cliche.)

It is a great novel.
I care about these characters as they are beautifully described and their words seem authentic.
I was sad to reach the end of the novel as I knew I wouldn't be spending time with them anymore.

Back Cover states:
The death of her troubled mother and memories of her abused grandmother lure a woman back to the Appalachian hollow where she was born. Virginia Kate Carey, the daughter of a beautiful mountain wild-child and a slick, Shakespeare-quoting salesman, relives her turbulent childhood and the pain of her mother's betrayals. Haunted by ghosts and buried family secrets, Virginia Kate struggles to reconcile three generations of her family's lost innocence.

My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and while these books are dissimilar ...the stories are equally powerful and I equally care for the character of Virginia Kate in the same ways that I care for Jean Louise "Scout" Finch.

I loved Tender Graces and Kathryn Magendie has written a story of triumph over sadness and the release that comes with the acceptance of all the frailties of our lives.

I found out that this author is writing another novel based about Virginia Kate by reading her blog ... and now... I want to leave comments asking...

Are you rested? Are you getting enough sleep?
I am wondering if she has enough to eat...Can I make you a sandwich or anything?
Is she working lovingly on this next book?

... as I miss my time with Virginia Kate.

Seriously...no cliche...I enjoyed reading this book and I look forward to the next one!

6 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

This has made me smile - a very big huge great smile......

I missed VK too - I really like her - and have said I wish she were a real person I could be friends with...so good to hear her voice again.

thank you Ronda . . .
Now, I'm hungry - and need a sandwich *laughing*

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

I love that Kat Magendie. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't read TG yet, but it's calling to me on my night stand. Your review is the perfect reminder I needed to start reading!

I'm following you now, btw. Feel free to do the same.;-)

Betty W said...

Sounds fascinating! I wish I could get it here. But I love the passion that you have to describe books.

stephenrowepainter said...

Tender Graces is a novel that I favor most highly. Kathryn Magendie the author has the gift, as it were, to place with words a time, location, and story alive with the characters she has created. Am most anxious to read more of her works. As ever be well, Stephen Craig Rowe

Jeanne Estridge said...

I'm so excited to hear she's working on another book about Virginia Cate!

Justine said...

Hmmm... you've definitely got my interest piqued here. I'll have to see if my library has it! Thanks Ronda! I love hearing about a great read!

Justine :o )