Thursday, October 22, 2009

Scary Man

I have blogged about Scary Man or Scared Man as he has been labeled by another and if you want the whole story it's here!

I was volunteering at the Cafe where we feed the homeless last Monday night and I was behind the line dishing the food into plates as other volunteers were serving our guests. I looked up as Scary Man was walking in, a volunteer greeted him and he said without smile..."Please give this to the lovely lady smiling in the back" and without another word he handed her a large green leaf that he had picked!

He did not speak to me again all evening and he left without saying "Goodbye" or even a "Thank you"

I know this much from my encounters with Scary Man...
He is educated as he speaks knowledgeably on many topics from Science to Shakespeare and he knows the Bible inside and out.
It is heartbreaking...he is mentally ill and he might be better if he took medication.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh, I so hear you on that one. Some of our cut backs right now include closing some acute beds at our local mental health hospital. All those people are going to end up on the streets!! Sigh....

Justine said...

OMG, he brought you a gift????? He doesn't talk to you, but he obviously appreciates what you do for him and others. Fan-tas-tic!

Justine :o )

Betty W said...

How sad but how encouraging too. He noticed you. That means something.
I hope you can be a good influence for him Ronda!

Kori said...

Oh, that is both so sweet and so, so sad!

LoLo said...

better yet if he could afford the medication and mental health services:(

Anonymous said...

Hey... come visit me. I'm having a scarf giveaway so come comment and hopefully win it!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Debbie said...

So heartbreaking. It is hard to think about people like that and their lives.

Claremont First Ward said...

I love reading about Scary Man even though it breaks my heart to hear about him at the same time. I'm sure he thinks of you as an angel.