Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Reading the Bible...the Joy of My Life.

One of my joys in life is reading. I think if I remember correctly while I was learning to read...I actually had trouble with it. The teacher needed me to read aloud and I was terrified of making a mistake in front of others...so, the great joy of my latter life was plagued with fear, stress and devoid of any joy at my introduction to it. I honestly don't remember how I discovered that you could read to yourself without others hearing but...it became one of the life defining moments of my life. I actually now read many books to my husband as he enjoys being read to. My love of reading extends to reading the Bible. I love stories told well and the Bible has great stories told well. Now whether you take all those stories literally is really your business and God's...as it is mine. I do believe it is the inspired word of God but I do not take it literally.
This does not mean that this book does not inform my life, challenge my thinking and direct my life in a way no other piece of literature ever has or ever will.  For me...it answers all questions with the help of God who is still talking.


Does this make me perfect? Uh, no! Does this mean I will agree with you because you read the Bible and call yourself a Christian? Also, no! I am completely astounded when I read or hear of other Christians speaking out unkindly about certain groups. I am frustrated with my fellow Christians who yell and scream unkind things at political rallies forgetting my own culpability. The bible is full of imperfect people failing miserably at being human beings and yet...time and time again...it shows God loving them still. 


I believe when we, God's people are in the zone...that great one in spirit feeling, we feel kindly towards others.We feel compassion, we seek justice for those who need help in having things made right for them. And because we know what its like to fail miserably while trying to do the right thing...we are humble. Always. nope some days we can't see or make sense of our lives or others. Sometimes...okay a good many days we let fear overtake us. But, true faith in God produces kindness, compassion, justice, and humility. And as we go to work, as we sit with our family, while we worship in our churches or serve in our community we should strive to show that faithfulness to God and to others.
How do I know this? Because a long time ago a prophet named Micah told of a time when corrupt leaders had no compassion or respect for those they were supposed to serve. They were taking advantage of those people. Micah called the people out, telling them want God wants from us.  It is a cautionary tale for ...me.
Micah 6:8
  He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

No comments: