Monday, May 19, 2008

What a lot of stuff!


The name of this blog is Ronda's Rants...so this is my first rant. We, Americans seems to consume so much and waste it as we go. I think of how much stuff I have in my life and how many things I have that are "wants" and not really needs. I have decided that I am going to consume less and try to be satisfied with what I have. This sounds so simple but I am like a consumer junkie who has had her supplier cut her off. Not a pretty sight. I had watched the Story of Stuff and realized how true this was for me ( if you haven't seen it...I encourage you to watch it) and how I really wanted to change! A journey begins with a simple step, so for my birthday I told my three grown children "no presents" for my 50th birthday. If they felt like honoring me to please make a donation to my favorite charity, they took it an extra step and invited my friends to honor me in the same way. I can truly say it has been the most amazing birthday ever! I have great friends who are as generous as they are kind. My day has been filled with opening beautiful cards with kind thoughts and generous gifts to people who have actual needs. I am blessed beyond measure with my children, my grandchildren, my friends, my siblings, my extended family and most of all my husband. It has been a beautiful birthday!!! I am less fearful about trying to comsume less because it has felt wonderful to celebrate my birthday this way.

But Jesus immediatly said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
Matthew 14:27

No comments: