Friday, May 4, 2012

As I Was Saying...

I walk in the woods a lot...almost, everyday. I, think of myself as am more of a city girl or more accurately a beachy kind-of-girl...more of a Florida girl. This really is only the second time in my life that I have spent any length of time on the mountain and I had forgotten how beautiful this land really is...and it is very beautiful, even in the Winter months.

 There is an old homestead property closer to the top of the mountain. The Hubby and I walk up their often, sometimes...the girls, (our two dogs) and I walk up there alone. They explore and I sit on a rock and think about how the lives of these settlers might have been. The house is gone, even the chimney...just a flat service covered by layers and layers of leaves and fallen limbs...but you can make out the space where they lived. They are near the spring...so they had water close by. They weren't related to my husband's family and the house was long gone even when my Hubby's father was a child.

 I wonder all the time if the Mrs. Homesteader was happy here...did she find it cold, lonely and different as I do. Did they leave...because the Mrs. had a temper tantrum? I find that heating with a Wood Stove is difficult...she would have heated her home, cooked and heated her water for baths on it. She would have had no electricity, no internet, no phones and no car with or without good gas mileage. She would not have had a quick brewed cup of Starbucks waiting for her! Did she love this kind of life? Or, was she resigned to it? Did she feel overwhelmed...as I do.  

A friend said that I am still in grieving, mourning, if you will... for my old life. I think, that is true. I, also think, I thought this was a vacation and eventually we would move back home! After, almost a year...I realize we are home. 

In the woods...your imagination goes wild...sometimes, as I run...I think I see a glimpse of Big Foot! Other, times when it's quiet, which is often...I imagine I hear someone say "You can do it Deary!" ...I like to think it's Mrs. Homesteader and I also, like to imagine she says it with a lovely Scottish brogue 


8 comments:

Kampin' Karen said...

You really need to turn this into a book of essays and become published :-)

Ronda's Rants said...

Well...I don't know about that...but this is cheaper than therapy :) I do look forward to reading about your travels! I love livin' the dream vicariously!

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

TWO posts in one week?! Yay! I think if I were in your shoes, I'd feel a lot like you up there. Though it does sound beautiful!

Ronda's Rants said...

Or...two therapy sessions...It's currently a little stormy and wet right now. My Riley girl is not happy at all!

Jeanne Estridge said...

One big difference is that back then everyone lived like that. You know other things exist.

Change is hard. Give yourself--and the new place--time.

(Although I have to admit it's hard for me to imagine you away from a chaise lounge on the beach....)

Ronda's Rants said...

Yes...I have plenty of time these days :) I am trying to stay in the moment and be grateful for those things right in front of me...hopefully not a Bear or Big Foot!

Simone said...

I certainly know about uprooting after moving from California to Oregon. It was scary but exhilarating all at the same time. If I hadn't taken a leap, I wouldn't have met the love of my life. If you see Big Foot, please take a picture. I don't understand why all of the others who claim to have seen him forget that they have a camera on their cellphones. Welcome back to blogland.

Ronda's Rants said...

Thank you, Simone...as far as Big Foot, I can't speak for others but for me...no cell phone service :(!