Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Sunday Salon...or Here's What I am Reading!

I just finished Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones...loved this strange little book and it's story but will blog about it later...however I disagree with the great Anna Quindlen's quote...
"Destined to become a classic in the vein of To Kill a Mockingbird..."
My quote..."Are you kidding me?"

I just finished Bill Hybels' book the Volunteer Revolution unleashing the Power of Everybody
I enjoyed this book and for me it fit nicely in the direction God is pushing er directing me!

I also just finished re-reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis...again for obvious reasons...
if you ever need a fresh perspective in regards to your faith or lack thereof...this is a must read!

My best read this week is The Green Bible...I now own about 30 Bibles...I have my first Bible from my parents...the King James Version which I can never make sense of and then my second Bible the New Testament Good News version which had much hipper and easier to understand language and ...many others.
I have a Serendipity Bible...I have used for small groups and then a Women's Study Bible which has studies geared for yes, you're ahead of me here....women!
I have a copy of The Bible for dummies...which again, you're right there...for dummies!
I am all of those things.

But, this The Green Bible is beautiful in the fact that it is Environmentally friendly- cotton and linen cover, recycled paper, soy-based ink, and water-based coating.
It contains inspirational writings by scholars and leaders including one of my favorites Brian McLaren author of Everything Must Change.
It contains a Trail guide for further study...but it is called The Green letter edition because it has over 1000 verses highlighted in green print to support the thought that God cares greatly that we take care of His creation!
Have a beautiful Sunday...as we enjoy God's creation!

3 comments:

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Hi Ronda! What a great blog you have! The Green Bible sounds wonderful!

I have to agree with you about The Lovely Bones. Although I did like the story, I don't think it comes anywhere near To Kill A Mockingbird! For that matter, if I had to chose a book that did compare, I'd say The Secret Life of Bees is a much better choice. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Unknown said...

The Green Bible sounds like a must get for me, thanks for sharing.

There are a couple of awards for you over on my blog if you want them.
www.myloonyverse.com

Aunt Julie said...

I haven't read The Lovely Bones yet, but can't imagine anything being better than TKAM. I'm reading Olive Kitterige by Elizabeth Strout. Speaking of odd...not quite sure why it won the Pulitzer.