Monday, January 4, 2010

Bloggy Book Club...so late!


When last we left our sweet heroine she said something about reading The Lost Symbol for Bloggy Book Club and that was way back in November...

Well, she ...uh, I did! I just didn't blog about it!

So...Bloggy Book Club for November was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and I did enjoy it with some small reservations.

From the front cover: When Langdon's beloved mentor, Peter Solomon- a prominent Mason and philanthropist- is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and-never-before-seen-locations- all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth.

Sounds good....doesn't it? It was! I enjoyed it because of the interesting, historical and mysterious plot but this is my third time reading about Robert Langdon's experiences and frankly it read a little formula-like and became very predictable for me and that was disappointing. Even though the story is somewhat different...you basically know who the "bad" guy is and what is going to happen, because it is a very similar story line in all three books! This was an interesting storyline about The Masons and I did find that part of it intriguing.

But, the most annoying part for me is that while telling the story Dan Brown chooses to only honor some of Robert Langdon's past...he always has these characters who appear who are old dear friends who weren't mentioned in his past books. You then find recent characters you just read about in the last books aren't mentioned in the new book, which would be fine if he didn't reference events that occurred in the past book. It annoyed me that the author mentioned details from the last books and then doesn't mention anymore about any of the "dear friends" from the other books! It seems odd for his character to have these relationships that don't carry over to the other books.
This may not bother others...just me but it did distract me from an otherwise great storyline!

It is a great historical, fiction who-done-it?

For Bloggy Book Club in January we are reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Join in by blogging Sunday, January 31, 2010... Happy Reading!

7 comments:

Ash said...

I'm with you - I really wanted to like it a lot. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as "Angels and Demons."

And it kind of reminded me of "Red Dragon," by Thomas Harris.

Don't get me started on the editing though, ouch.

Teri said...

I am interested in reading this book. It is good to know, though, that this is a bit formulaic. I am ready to dive into a new book I got for Christmas. Tree is gone, ornaments are packed away, and I am ready to jump back into the swing of things.

Have a great week!

Justine said...

Jimmy has been trying to get me to read this, but I haven't even read the other 2. They're just not my kind of book.

Justine :o )

Debbie said...

I haven't read this one yet but enjoyed your review. I have read Water so I can actually participate in that one!

Claremont First Ward said...

Happy New Year!

I always look forward to your book reviews. I've been wanting to read this one, too.

DId I tell you that I moved?
http://www.sevenclowncircus.com

Jeanne Estridge said...

I just picked up "Love in the Time of Cholera." Gruen's next on my list....

Kathryn Magendie said...

This is something I hope I do okay in the second book - refernece events from the first without being annoying or giving too much of the first book away, but at the same time say enough to keep the reader knowing what's going on!

I read Water for Elephants and enjoyed it!